The Royal Flying Corps showed no interest so Blackburn developed a landplane version as the Blackburn R.T.1 Kangaroo (Reconnaissance Torpedo Type 1).The first aircraft was delivered to Martlesham Heath in January 1918. Test results were disappointing, with the rear fuselage being prone to twisting and the aircraft suffering control problems, which led to the order for fifty aircraft being cut to twenty, most of which were already partly built. Corrections were made and engines were updated from the 250 hp Rolls-Royce Falcon II to the more powerful 275 hp Rolls-Royce Falcon III.
Twenty-four Kangaroos were built and 10 of these were issued to No 246 Squadron (the only unit to operate the type) at Seaton Carew, on the Durham coast.
Operations began on 1 May, the Kangaroos flying more than 600 hours on anti-submarine patrols over the North Sea between then and 11 November. During that time they were credited with 12 U-boat sightings and 11 attacks, one of which, on 28 August, resulted in the shared destruction of UC 70 with the destroyer HMS Ouse. They were withdrawn from service in May 1919.
Wingspan of 74 feet, height of 17 feet and maximum takeoff weight of 8,017 pounds. Capable of a maximum speed of 98 mph at 6,500 feet.