In 1923, Handley Page designed and built the interwar Hyderabad, a new heavy bomber based on the Handley W.8 airliner. The Hyderabad was an all-wooden biplane powered by two Napier Lion engines. Forty-five were built, entering service from 1925. The Hyderabad first flew in 1923, and 44 of the aircraft served from December 1925 until January 1934. It was the last Royal Air Force heavy bomber in squadron service to be of wooden construction.
The Handley Page Hinaidi was an improved version of the Hyderabad built to meet Air Ministry Specification 13/29. The first few Hinaidi were modified Hyderabads.
The first true Hinaidi, the HP36 Hinaidi Mk II, went into production after major structural modifications were implemented and the structure being changed from wooden to metal.
Powered by two 440 hp Bristol Jupiter VIII 9-cylinder radial engines. Top speed of 123 mph and a crusing speed of 65 mph and a range of 850 miles. Capable of a 1450 lb bomb load and armed with three .303 Lewis Guns in nose, dorsal and ventral positions.
The first 33 Mkll aircraft came into service in 1929, and were issued to No. 99, No. 10 and No. 503 squadrons where they served until October 1935.
Total production ended with 36 Mk ll, with some being converted to transport aircraft on the North-West Frontier in India.
In total, 45 of the aircraft were built, some new-build and others were converted Hyderabads.